Thursday 16 March 2017

Review: March 2017 Tokyo Treat Box - A Year of Boxes

I cannot believe that this time last year I had ordered and was waiting on my first Tokyo Treat Box to arrive all the way from Japan. And a year on I am still getting the same excitement every month waiting for my box to arrive.

My box usually takes 2 weeks to come so I was surprised when it came in just 10 days considering February was a shorter month!


As always here is a photo of the outside and inside of the book that they provide you detailing all the items with in the box in English because If you are like me I cannot read Japanese at all!



This months theme is Matcha/Sakura flavoured and I have to be honest I was a little worried when they announced the theme for this month as last year they did a whole Matcha themed box which I decided to skip but this year they have mixed it with Sakura. 

But actually there was only 5 Matcha and 5 Sakura items with in the box and the rest were a mix of different items which was great ALTHOUGH after trying the Matcha items I have realised actually how much I love it! So now I'm not as worried about this flavour being included anymore.

Items Received:
Tirol Choco - Sakura Mochi (5/5)
As mentioned in last months review I have had some that were this flavour before in my March box from last year apart from there were two different flavours not just the one. I really liked these though because they were little cubes of chocolate with a gummy Sakura flavour.

Sequoia Chocolate - Matcha Green Tea Flavour (5/5)
I was a little miffed if i would like this because it kind of looked like a bamboo shoot and the pure green colour as well but it tasted really good. It wasn't a full on Match taste like what I've had before and has put me off.

Strawberry Cotton Candy (5/5)
Who doesn't love getting cotton candy when they go to the fair? This little pot of was so cute and just enough to get that nostalgia memory. It also tasted so much more strong than the stuff I have had before.

Cola Diamond Ring (N/A)
Talk about bringing back childhood memories! We used to get something like this in different flavours in the UK called Ring Pops so I decided to give this on to my partner Joel because he was really excited when he saw this in the box.

Pickled Sakura Daikon (N/A)
No comment on this! I just can't quite bring myself to eat it because it just looks totally weird!

Poteco Delicious Salt (5/5)
A Japanese version of UK Hula Hoops apart from these aren't as thick they are a slightly thinner circle and had a more salty taste. I actually preferred these to the UK version just because they were thinner and not as thick as ours.

Harvest Rich Matcha Chocolate Sandwich (5/5)
Surprisingly I actually really liked these as when I picked them out of the box I wasn't 100% convinced I would due to the biscuit being Matach flavoured as well but it was very subtle taste. I've had had Matcha chocolate before and it was just to over powering which was what put me off.

Waku Waku Animal Soft Candy DIY (5/5)
I've actually had this DIY kit before as it came on my Tofu Cute lucky bag when I was at Hyper Japan last year. Tbh I didn't even bother making the animals I just ate the candy which tasted delicious.

Pie No Mi - Green Tea Flavour (5/5)
I really really loved these! They are cute little pastries filled with a matcha filling and they really complement each other with the creamy pastry flavour. I can also advise that they aren't a toxic green colour on the inside like shown on the box.

Animal Land Gummy - Grape (5/5)
Gummies? Grape? Shaped like animals? WIN WIN WIN!

Peach Caramel Corn (+5/5)
Another repeat from March 2016's box but I actually don't mind as I love Caramel Corn so much and would be over the moon if they put some in every box.

Sakura Chopsticks
Even though I don't use chopsticks these are really cute and fit in really well with the theme with them being pink and green. I love the Sakura print that is on them as well.

Sakura Sakuranbo Royal Milk Tea (0/5)
Now I am not a massive lover of tea so when I saw that this was being included in March's I wasn't too bothered because I knew the chances were I wasn't going to like it. It surprised me that it was made by Coca Cola as I never knew they made other drinks. I had a few sips and you could definitely taste the cherry and blossom but there was also a strong hint of tea which really put me off.

Dars Uji Matcha Flavour (5/5)
Another Matcha item that to begin with I wasn't 100% sure I was going to like but actually I turned out to really love it to the fact no one else even got to try any. What I liked about this chocolate compared to others I had tried is that the matcha filling was complimented by the dark chocolate coating on the outside which meant it wasn't overpowering.

Sakura Konpeito Candy (5/5)
The packaging for these Konpeito candies was so cute covered in a cherry blossom print which really complimented the flavour. I didn't expect them to be as small as they were because I have had these in a bigger version in bright colours. These were really tiny and in a white and pink colour but I wouldn't say they really tasted of Sakura but they still tasted amazing.

Sakura Saku Latte Candy (5/5)
Simple cherry blossom shaped hard candy that comes in 4 different flavours being coffee, matcha, banana and sakura flavours. Each flavour packed a punch that is for but out of all the flavours the Sakura one was my favourite as I love cherry flavoured sweets.

Back at the start of March Tokyo Treat announced some major changes to they're monthly subscriptions and what is great is that its bigger boxes, more treats and a special random bag of treats and all for the same price which is fantastic. 

I won't go in to the changes to much now but once my April box comes I shall review and fill you in with all the new items and new features of the box. I've made a promise to myself that with the changes I am not going to watch any reviews of the box before it comes, I am little naughty by doing that and I don't want to ruin the surprise!

If you would like to read any of my Tokyo Treat reviews from 2016 then please click on the "Tokyo Treat" or "2016" labels in the label column on the side.

Thanks for reading. I purchased this with my own money and I was NOT paid to review this by Tokyo Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment