Friday 9 March 2018

Saving for Tokyo and a Potential Move


There is nothing worse when all your plans are coming along, and life chucks an unexpected curve ball right at you. If you’ve been keeping up with my blog over the last few months you will know I’m off to Tokyo in November and that has been the plan since October 2016.

Back in November last year I got the dreaded text I never thought I would get from my landlord telling me he’s decided to sell the flat and at the point my brain went in to over drive. Luckily, we hadn’t committed fully to Tokyo at that point and nothing had been booked or paid for.

Me being me that was it Tokyo was cancelled, and we were going to have to save over £2,000 to move flats very quickly or borrow money from our parents which I am so grateful for the offer. But after speaking with the Estate agent who came over to value the flat explained how we didn’t need to rush to move as the flat could potentially be brought by an investor and we could stay, even if the flat was sold and we did have to move we’d have two months’ notice.

All I can say is looking back now I’m so glad we didn’t rush to move as the flat is still for sale and hasn’t really had much interest since going on the market in January. Obviously, I would rather know what’s going on and if we must move but I guess no news is better as now we can keep going on as we are until something happens.

Now Tokyo, I was determined we couldn’t afford to go and that it was going to be cancelled even though my partner Joel said on so many occasions we could afford it regardless if we had to move and after a few days of feeling sorry for myself and upset about the trip I looked in to my money and with a few cut backs it was do able. The difference with me and Joel is he’s very calm and rational where as with me if something goes wrong then I go in to over drive.

As I write this post believe it or not I’ve paid off my half of the holiday which was just over £900 for flights and hotel which we booked in January. So already in two months I’ve managed to do something I thought wasn’t possible this was with the help of a little bonus from work but mostly down to making some cuts and saving more than what I usual would.

Although this is one hurdle out of the way I’ve still got to save at least £1,430 for spending money and excursions for Tokyo and as much money as I can in case we have to move depending on what comes first but it really is doable, so I thought I’d share my tips with you all on how I’m managing to save money.

Cheap Cinema Tickets/Snacks:
Me and Joel love going to the cinema and now with the cost of tickets being up to £12 per person for new releases its just beyond a joke trying to go but with the joys of Compare the Meerkat and they’re cheap Tuesday and Wednesday tickets is great help. Although now through work we now can get cheap cinema tickets meaning we can go any time and just need to buy the tickets and use the codes online.

Set Menus and Offers:
Making the most of set menu’s that any restaurant offers can make such a big change to how much you pay when going for a meal as there is usually something on there you will like or making the most of any special offers and going somewhere that has one for the time you are going.

Not Buying Birthday Presents:
This is the first time in years I’ve said to my friends I’m really sorry, but I won’t be buying presents this year. A few years ago, once I moved out I did make the decision to stop Christmas presents because with my finances changing I couldn’t afford to spend £20 to £30 on everyone but Birthdays to me are different as they’re special days and I love treating my friends but this year I won’t be because I really need the extra cash and they were all so understanding about my situation.

Budgeting:
I’ve always budgeted ever since I moved out from home in to my own place nearly four years ago, so this is nothing new for me but something I’ve always found helpful.

Just before pay day each month I make a list of all by bills that are due and any extras that need paying for that month whether it’s a hair, dentist appointment or a birthday then I total them all up and take that amount away from my monthly pay. I’m then left with the amount of money I must live on for the month which I split between equal weeks until I get paid again which leaves me with my weekly allowance. This may not work for everyone, but I’ve found it useful keeping things on track

Not Making Plans that Cost Money:
There are so many things going on this year that I would love to do or people I’d love to go and see in concert, but I’ve had to say to myself that this isn’t the year for these events. I do have a couple of things in the pipeline, but these were booked last year so are still happening of course, but any new offers are being declined or put on hold until we know for certain what’s happening.

If there is one thing I’ve learnt from all of this is that I need to learn to look at things more rationally and not rush to the worse conclusion because it has all worked out for now we’re still of to Tokyo and what ever happens next, we will deal with as a team and get through but making slight changes has really helped me with my money and saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment