Thursday 22 June 2017

Annie The Musical - London

On the 15th June 2017 only last week me and both of my sisters travelled up to London to go and watch Annie in the theatre. Annie has been one of my all time favourite movies since I was a little girl after watching the 1982 original with my sisters growing up. 

My love for Annie didn't stop with the classic when Disney released they're own version of the movie back in 1999 I had to watch it of course one with it being Annie and two with it being Disney. 

In 2014 a more modern up to date version was released and although it received mixed signals I absolutely loved it because it mixed things up and gave it a more up to date feel with remakes of the classic songs and new ones added as well.


Annie did come to my home town in Bristol back in 2016 but because I didn't have any money at the time I didn't get any tickets but when I found out it was going to be coming to the West End and staring Miranda Hart who is one of my favourite comedians and is in Call The Midwife the credit card came out and tickets were booked instantly as I had to go.

Because money was still tight at the time we went for the cheapest tickets we could get but with a decent view. I quite like being sat up high looking down over the stage as it means you get an overall great view and don't miss anything although I did check how the top tier seats were before booking because I know in some theatres the seats can be awfully uncomfortable the higher you get.

We were sat in the front row of the upper circle right on the end in the middle meaning we had a perfect view of the stage with no one blocking our view.


After reading so many good reviews of the show before we went I just knew it was going to be everything I wanted it to be and more. The cast were incredible especially the children playing the orphans and Annie herself they had such powerful voices and brought the characters to life.

Miranda Hart made the most perfect Miss Hannigan from the moment she walked on the stage to the moment she galloped off ... any Miranda fans will get that reference and she did actually gallop off the stage. 

The set designs were incredible how they moved from scene to scene and all the added extras changed. 


I could not help but sing all the way through it was just full of the classics songs and screen play was just perfect even though it varied in certain places.

As I have only seen the movies and never seen Annie on Broadway in New York I cannot really comment which one it is based on. But going on the movie basis I would say it was a good mix of both with some new songs added in that I hadn't heard before. As for my sisters because they hadn't watched the 1999 Annie they didn't know two of the songs or that the ending of the show came from that movie.

If you are an Annie lover like myself or just fancy seeing something new then I really recommend this. It will make you laugh and sing and its just a good feeling show. Its currently on in London until the 6th January 2018 but Miranda is only starring as Miss Hannigan until the 17th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment