Monday 16 January 2017

Review: January 2017 Tokyo Treat Box

Hi Everyone! I hope 2017 is treating you well so far even though we are only half way through January.

Here is my first review of many Tokyo Treat boxes to come this year and soon I would have been receiving these for nearly a year. What I am excited about is to see how they keep the variances going with these boxes and to keep the snacks different each month which I am sure won't be a problem considering the variety's they have in Japan!


This months theme is Happy New Year which is very fitting with it being the New Year!

As always here is the booklet which they always provide so you can see the full descriptions of the items along with my thoughts and comments below;



Items Received:
This time instead of writing in"Italic" what the products are as mentioned in the little book provided I will just give my own comments along with pictures and a rating out of 5 so here goes ...

Condensed Milk Choco Anpan (5/5)
These are soooo cute! I have been dying to try them since I missed them in a box I decided to skip last year so I was glad to see them making an appearance again. Looking at the packet they look like little bread buns filled with condensed milk and that is exactly what they were and so cute as well! 

Black Thunder - Kinako Flavour (0/5)
I have been wanting to try a Big Thunder bar for ages and when I saw this one was going to be included in the box I was very excited although once opening it and taking a bite I wasn't all that impressed I have to say. I think this could be because it wasn't an original and had a slightly off flavour because of the Kinako? But I wouldn't rush to buy one again.

Super Ottotto Savory Soy Sauce (3/5)
I love it when crisp are included in the boxes and these ones are really cute and shaped like different sea creatures with a soy sauce flavouring. I gave them a 3 because they're something I find quite over powering and not something that I would rush to eat the whole bag like I usually do.

Samurai Japan Chips (5/5)
Woo another bag of crisps included and nothing really exciting about these ones as they're just a simple plain ready salted flavour but tasted amazing all the same.

Sour Plum Fortune Candy (3/5)
After all the other Sour Plum stuff I have previously had from Tokyo Treat and didn't like I wasn't to sure if I was going to like these but the aim of the packet is to see what your fortune would be by choosing a sweet and hoping that you didn't get a super sour one. We have to say we ate 4/6 of the sweets and the sour ones weren't that bad not as bad as I thought they would be.

Pickachu Gummy (5/5)
Pikachu? Gummy? Grape? Win Win for me here, they were so cute as it was a mixture of tails, feet and Pikachu faces that all had different expressions. We got Sad, Angry, Normal and Surprised. 

Bonus Snack (5/5)
Who doesn't love a bonus snack? And for once actually one that I could do haha! The little packet include 3 different flavours and 3 different shaped gummy's, one was the bottom for the sushi and one was for the top in banana, strawberry and lemon flavours. The sushi toppers didn't actually stick very well to the bottoms but they tasted good anyways!

Nakayoshi Neru Neru Muscat Grape and Strawberry Flavour (5/5)
OK so I hate DIY candy kits and I can never usually do them so end up eating the contents and chucking the rest in the bin BUT this time I decided to give this one a proper go and I DID IT I MADE IT! And it actually tasted amazing the texture of the Neru Neru was so good and the flavours tasted amazing.

Sakupan Choco Monaka (5/5)
I have never had one of these big panda's before I have had the smaller biscuit ones before in Chocolate flavour so wasn't really sure what to expect with the bigger one and oh my it was amazing its not like a biscuit but like a wafer base with this chocolate moose type filling on the inside and it was so creamy I wanted more.

Fizzy Soft Candy Stick - Orange and Lemon Flavour (5/)
I loved this and its such a good idea. It is a simple chew bar which is half lemon and half orange flavour but when you take a bite and start chewing it and activate the fizzy foam that is inside it actually starts to taste like cola. As you can see from the image on the packaging. 

Frog Family Gummy (5/5)
Grape? Gummy? Cute Frog shapes? What is not to like here these super cute gummy'c come in the shapes of tadpoles, eggs and frogs and the little eggs even have a gooey grape centre and tasted amazing.

New Years Facial Art Mask (N/A)
I haven't actually done this one yet as I am not a massive face mask lover so I've left it to one side for the moment and maybe I will get around to doing it another day.

Rich Taste Calpis Soda (4/5)
So another rather interesting drink once again this month although not as interesting as the cream stew ramune that made want to gag. This months special drink is Calpis which a popular Japanese yogurt drink but this time they have released a limited edition Calpis Soad version.

So after reading it was originally a yogurt drink it put me off slightly after taking a look at the colour and giving it a smell I did take a sip and to my surprise I actually really liked it to start with I wasn't convinced but after a while it kind of tasted like a creamy lemonade flavour. 

Pokemon Stick Candy (5/5)
More Pokemon goodies! These kind of remind me of candy sticks here in the UK apart from they are more fizzy and kind of foam a little. They are classic Soda flavour which is one of my favourite tastes and the other is orange. 

Gilco Cultured Butter Pretz (N/A)
So the reason for my N/A rating is because I decided I wouldn't open these just yet as I still have the tomato ones open from December's box and I don't want them going stale.

One Piece Chocolate Wafer (5/5)
Simply a chocolate wafer with One Piece packaging nothing different about it shape wise just plain and simple but still tasted amazing.

Alfor Chocolate Biscuit - Red Bean Flavour (4/5)
I really wasn't sure what I was going to make of these when I picked them up out of the box due to the flavour being Red Bean which is really weird to me but these tasted amazing and the little biscuits that the chocolate was on top off tasted really yummy. I really liked the cute little ship design each one had on the chocolate.

If you would like to read any of my Tokyo Treat reviews from 2016 then please click on the "Tokyo Treat" or "2016" labels in the label column on the side.

Thanks for reading. I purchased this with my own money and I was NOT paid to review this by Tokyo Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment