Monday 25 April 2016

Review: April Tokyo Treat Box

Welcome to another review or shall we say unboxing of a Tokyo Treat Box this time it is the April Box which is actually they're special 1st Anniversary box.

In my last post I reviewed the March medium box which you can read here. I ended up getting the medium box because I didn't have a lot of money to order the premium box and to be honest I didn't this time around whoops! I have had to cancel my subscription for a few months as money is tight and I cannot afford the costs which is a shame because I really enjoyed these boxes but it also gives me time to see what other ones are out there and try one of those.

What made me upgrade to this box was because they are including two bonus items which I am dead excited for the first one being Sakura Pepsi (oh my!!!) and the second one being a limited edition Hello Kitty and Doraemon coin purse (ahhh!!!)


So lets crack on ...

Once again the box includes one of they're really nicely presented booklets which lists all the items with in the box, how to make the DIY kits and other little bits of information which are really interesting. 


Items Received:
So just like last time I will write in "Italic" what the products are as mentioned in the little book provided above along with my own comments, pictures and rating out of 5 so here goes ...

Meiji's Pucca Chocolate (5/5)
These little crispy nuggets of browned biscuit are filled with the most delectable chocolate
There are another biscuit product filled with a creamy chocolate filling but what is different about these are they are crunchy and crisp on the outside and kind of taste like pretzels which make them even more delicious.

Crunchy Panda Z (4/5)
Z for the "ZaguZagu" or "CrunchCrunch" feeling you get when you eat a mouthful, these crunchy chocolate pandas are perfect for every day snacking
I have actually had these little Panda biscuits before but last time I tried the White and Milk chocolate mix and these were amazing so to get to try the Milk and Dark chocolate ones have been great. I'm not 100% sure which ones I prefer but they both tasted yummy. Its hard chocolate on a biscuit base.

Meiji's Plum Pati-Chan (2/5)
The yummy flavours of crisp plum, gives off a bitter and sweet vibe for these crunchy morsels. As you eat this snack you will begin to feel the bits crackling inside your mouth
These are essentially pop rocks but I have to say I couldn't stand the plum flavour it left a really horrible after taste but they did make a good crackling sound better than pop rocks I have had in the UK before. 

Raw Ramune Candy (5/5)
Do you know Ramune? Its an extremely popular soda drink in Japan. This delicious candy is Ramune flavoured
I've had Ramune flavoured candy before but nothing like this texture before. These are like soft little cubes of raw Ramune which taste like Soda. I have never tried the drink before but I am off to Hyper Japan in July so hoping I can try some then.

Karamucho Hot Chili Flavoured Chips (5/5)
These tasty potato chips have a huge kick to them! Enjoy the peppery and zingy taste of hot chili, powdered on each chip
Now I was expecting these to be really spicy but I was pleasantly surprised to find them quite mild but amazingly tasty! They tasted like paprika? but they were amazing I love the little drawing on the packet.

Baby Star Yakisoba Sauce Flavour (4/5)
These tasty morsels are dried and baked yakisoba noodles
Where can I get more? These taste amazing! I can't think what they remind me of although my partner said bombay mix? I couldn't see it myself but these tasted great, the texture and crispyness is just right. I've never had Yakisoba noodles before so the taste was amazing. 

Chocolate Flour and Green Tea Flavoured Mochi (0/5)
Delicious flour discs, in a do it yourself kit that allows you to flavour them anyway you like! Enjoy the rich combination of  chocolate paired with mochi green tea powder for an experience you'll enjoy by the mounds
Ok so from my last post I didn't really enjoy the DIY kit and its the same with this weeks. I followed the instructions and taste the Mochi with chocolate and green tea and I thought it was disgusting it tasted horrible so I decided to just eat the chocolate which was amazing. 

Lotte's Koala March (Seasonal): Custard Pudding Flavour (4/5)
This Japanese sweet snack is famous for its crispy exterior and sweet filling. Indulge in crunchy vanilla biscuit nuggets filled with custard pudding flavour
I love these! Not only is the box cute but the actual biscuits themselves are adorable. I have had these before also but only the Chocolate and Strawberry flavours so getting to try a seasonal flavour is great and they taste amazing. These are little biscuits shaped like little Kola bears with a creamy custard pudding filling mmm!

Carrot Chopped Rice Cake (3/5)
These mini rice cakes are a yummy concoction of dried and baked perfection. Crunchy and authenticly made in the "arare" and prepared Japanese rice cakes that are lightly crunchy without too much extra flavours.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate how cute the packaging is? I wasn't 100% sure on this product to begin with only due to the name as I was worried this was carrot flavoured rice cakes but actually it wasn't it was lightly seasoned little rice cake bits like someone had taken a rice cake and broke it in to small pieces. Its a light snack with not too much flavour but still yummy.

Wasabi Grilled Seaweed (5/5)
Basically what it says in the name ;)
Now I cannot stand Wasabi its really hot and it I don't have a very high tolerance for spicy food but this I was really worried about trying but I gave it ago and it was amazing. The crispy seaweed tastes amazing along with the subtle hint of Wasabi some sheets are more strong than others but still yummy. 

Baby Star Bonito Kelp Udon
This delicious noodle meal is a cup ramen stayed dried dish, in the bonito flavour that we know and love. Enjoy the delicious udon noodles paired with the saltiness of seaweed and bonito flakes. Add boiling water and sit for 5 minuets. 
I have yet to try this yet as I haven't really been in the mood but once I have given this a go I shall update you all.

Sakura Pepsi (Special Item) (10/5) ;)
The combination of Sakura Blossom cherries paired with the well known taste of Pepsi has made for a wonderful, limited edition beverage. Enjoy the soft fragrant and bubbly aroma and cherry taste that will leave you refreshed, and happy
OH MY!!!!!!! This drink is incredible and I am so gutted that its limited edition and only available in Japan because its something I have never tasted before and its quite hard to actually describe what it tastes like because Skaura is Cherry Blossom and some people said it tasted like Cherry but to me I don't think it does.

Doraemon or Hello Kitty Purses (Special Item) (5/5)
For the premium boxes this month we've included a very special item for your dedication to Tokyo Treat. Enjoy mini coin purses with lovely designs of Hello Kitty or Doraemon. These cute little purses are an awesome collectors item.
When Tokyo Treat announced that this was going to be one of the special items in they're anniversary box I was over the moon! I am a massive Hello Kitty fan and I couldn't wait to see what one was included in my box. As  I am not a massive Doraemon fan I was worrying that I might get a full Doraemon purse rather than a mixed or a Hello Kitty one so I am so pleased that I got Hello Kitty but also that I got this design its so Kawaii!

Chocolate Monaca (3.5/5)
This traditional candy bar of Japan called the "Monaca" is something we can all enjoy. Relish in these large bars of crispy and airy vanilla biscuit with a dry puffed chocolate filling on the inside.
This is essentially a wafer bar with a hard chocolate filling which tasted amazing! The wafer tasted like an ice cream cone and went very well with the rich creamy chocolate.

Calbee BBQ Flavoured Sapporo Potato Snacks (2/5)
These tangy barbecue potato snacks are timeless and delectable. 
Enjoy the bold flavours paired with a waffle-cut potato chip, that has the right amount of seasoning and crunch. Sapporo potatoes are a favourite among the Japanese.  
These were pretty bland to be honest there wasn't much BBQ flavour to them if any at all but the texture and design of the crisp were yummy.

Overall I am really impressed with this box, there was such a great variety of snacks and candy and it isn't heavy on just one product. I am gutted that I have had to cancel my subscription but I will defo have to look at getting another in the future.

Thanks for reading. I purchased with my own money and I was NOT paid to review this by Tokyo Treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment